Friday, June 23, 2017 [Tweets] [Favorites]

Refactoring a Massive View Controller

Andrew Pontious:

Even though I wasn’t trying to finalize the design or the APIs yet, for each new area I pulled out, I found I could refine the previously-extracted areas. Exposed properties that before were accessed seemingly at random, I could now see were only used by one of the specific areas I’d pulled out, and only at specific times. I could start to move properties around between the extracted classes, cut and paste them where they should go. I could move closer to the encapsulation I wanted.

All without breaking anything, because I was taking such tiny, straightforward, safe steps.

That meant, by the time everything was extracted, I was actually much closer to a final design than I had any right to be, given initial conditions.

I have found this to be true as well.

Comments

Stay up-to-date by subscribing to the Comments RSS Feed for this post.

Leave a Comment